Next I created a shibori stitched circle (running stitches around, and around, and around, and around…. ), gathered them up tightly and painted on some foil adhesive. I didn’t wait long to snip the threads and pull it out as I didn’t want the glue to dry over the threads. I was very careful not to mess up the glue as I pulled out the threads then let it dry.
I could have applied the gold foil next but chose to layer and quilt the piece next. I was hoping the foil would cover some of the stitching. I simply followed the designs in the printed cloth, loving every inch of the wide open space on my Handi-Quilter 16 as I free-motion quilted. I thought for a bit about continuing the circular quilting onto the white cloth but chose instead to balance the circles with some simple vertical lines. Too much of a good circular thing is… too much.
The foil went on next – just the gold to start with. Between each step the work goes up on the wall so I can step back and get a longer view – see how things are going. At this point I saw I needed something to balance the larger gold circle but didn’t know what and was too far along to do anything drastic without testing first.
Easy solution. Take a picture, print out a few copies, doodle until something looks right. Three more circles on the lower left were my solution this time.
A few pins to test out thread weight then I decided that I needed red in the shibori circle – then more red and gold in the lower circles. And then it was really, really late and I needed to go to bed.
So – I think first of all I need to take lessons in how to photograph white work. I have a really wonderful and fancy new SLR camera that I have no idea how to use. I’m working on it. Slowly.
I’d love to hear your comments and critiques.