Abstraction: Freedom from representational qualities in art. Taking away or removing characteristics from something in order to reduce it to a set of essential characteristics.
Abstract-a-licious: Freedom from pressure or the need to make it real. Removing fear and the need for perfection in order to enlarge the artists essential joy in creation.
If you’ve looked with secret longing to the world of art quilts but don’t know where to start, this is the class for you. Lyric will gently guide you through concrete exercises designed to help you create ideas for original abstract quilts.
Doodles will be scribbled, eyes and minds will be opened, and fun will be had. You will learn the basics of fused collage as you assemble your quilt top. Even students who have never created their own designs before will end the day with at least one small and uniquely original art quilt top.
Class Length: 6 hour format
Skill level: All levels
Supply Fee: none
- Pencil, eraser, sharpie
- Plain paper (8×10 or larger sketchbook preferred)
- Tracing paper (at least 15 sheets)
- Paper scissors, fabric scissors
- 2 Glue sticks (any kind, make sure they are not dried up)
- Wipes (to clean off sticky fingers)
- 1 yard regular weight Wonder-Under or Misty-Fuse
- Quart sized zip-loc bag FULL of fabric scraps to share with the class
- Three fat quarters to share with the class (think “backgrounds”)
- Baking parchment – about 2 yards (coordinate ahead of time and share with your friends)
- Mini iron & pressing board
One iron and board per five students.
Classroom set-up preferences can be viewed HERE.
Please see the Hiring Information page if you would like to book this class.