Add beads of all shapes and sizes to your quilts and wearable art, easily and after you are done quilting. Here’s the prize: no knots or mess on the back! Learn to embellish in a way that adds to the overall design instead of looking like an afterthought.
Students will create a small fabric collage on batting, learn different beading techniques, and choose to create a small art-quilt or a book cover. Techniques will also be taught for applying beads to clothing.
Class Length: 6 or 3 hour format
Skill level: all levels
Optional kits: $25.00
- Fabric scissors
- Small shallow bowl or container to keep beads in (“Altoid” type tins work well)
Buy a kit from Lyric ($25) There is no need to reserve a kit, Lyric will bring plenty
- Seed beads: size 6
- Seed beads: sizes 11, 15, & 6
- OR – beads that your eyes can see and any needle that will fit through their holes!
- Bugle beads
- Cabochon, button (no shank) or flat bead, about 20mm diameter
- Long appliqué needle size 11
- Batting, 8”x10” or fat quarter sized
- Wonder-under, 8”x10” or 1/4 yard
- Fabric for quiltlet or book cover, 2 fat quarters (hand dyed or plain shows off the beads best!)
- Nymo or Sylamide beading thread to match your beads or background fabric
- Any interesting beads or embellishments you might have
- Thimble and needle threader
- Thread snips
- Rubber finger from an office supply store, helps pull your needle
- Lamp or magnifying lamp and extension cord
If you want to make a book-cover from the kit you will need to bring a small book. If you can gift wrap it with a piece of notebook paper, it is small enough.
4″ x 6″ hardbound sketchbooks will be available for purchase from Lyric for $6.00 each. Cabochons and other individual supplies will also be available.
Please see the Hiring Information page if you would like to book this class.