Kick-start your creativity and learn about the basic elements of good design through a series of short, hands-on exercises. Learn why some colors fizz while others explode, why some quilts calm and some excite. A few simple tools from the artists kit will help you take your work, whether traditional or contemporary, to the next level.
Students will discuss some of the basic principles of design including focal point, line, texture, color, shape and motion. Quick, hands-on exercises will help the student to understand and implement these principles in their own artwork. We view and discuss great artworks and have very positive and helpful critique sessions in multi-day workshops.
Class Length: 6 hour to 5 day format
Skill level: All levels
Supply Fee: none
- 8” x 10” (or around that size) sketchbook (spiral bound is easiest)
- quart sized zip-loc bag of scrap fabric that you don’t mind sharing include some neutrals (white, creme, beige), any fibers, or papers are welcome. These will be cut up and shared – don’t bring precious stuff!
- glue stick
- baby wipes (to get glue off fingers)
- digital camera
- Art + Quilt: design principles and creativity exercises by Lyric Kinard
- one 6′ table per two students
- two tables to teacher
- screen or wall for projecting for 2-5 day classes
- pinnable display boards or quilt stand for 2-5 day classes
Please see the Hiring Information page if you would like to book this class.