Blog drawing faces life drawing

Saturday morning faces

January 29, 2011
So last night my daughter was sitting there being her beautiful self and she agreed to let me draw her. We were both tired.
I got frustrated. I know I shouldn’t – it’s just learning process and I know I have a long way to go. I should go and reread the first chapter of my own book eh? “Don’t compare yourself… permission to be imperfect … time to learn… ” yada yada yada.

Left: last night, from life.      Right: this morning, from a photo.
So I know I’m going to get there eventually but I wanted to make on good drawing NOW. Well – bedtime and then draw in the morning. She let me take a picture. I photoshopped it to up the contrast and turned it black and white. Then I traced the back of the picture a bit, placed it on the paper and traced the outlines again to transfer the pencil to the paper. If I wasn’t doing it in my sketchbook I would have just used a light table. Yes I consider all these things crutches. Cheating – sort of. I want to be able to draw what I’m seeing without them. But for this morning – who cares? I got the outlines in the right place and filled in the shadows from there. I gotta say. It’s satisfying to see the results.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

7 Comments

Sherise Marie Wright
    March 28, 2012 at 8:51 pm

AWESOME! I want you to know that as a quilter I love sketching new ideas for my quilts. Your work is awesome and keep going!

Happy Quilting!
    Sherise
    Chicago, Illinois

Kathleen
    January 30, 2011 at 3:09 pm

I think your work is brilliant. Thanks for putting up the images you aren't satisfied with — not just the "good" stuff. You truly are an authentic artist.

Judy Warner
    January 30, 2011 at 11:50 am

I think you are well on your way. Just remember to give yourself permission to play!

Diana Louie, The Village Fabric Shoppe
    January 29, 2011 at 6:01 pm

When I was teaching Junior High Level Art we often used Photographs as reference for faces, and I allowed tracing in the way you described for "correcting and adjusting proportions" I don't think you cheated at all. Many great realist painters used photographs extensively, there is an exhibit up now on Norman Rockwell and the photos he took for refernce, I think it is at his museum. ( some of the subjects of his paintings actually work there- much older now of course )

lyric
    January 29, 2011 at 4:53 pm

Not hard on myself toooo much.

Mostly I'm having a lot of fun with this.

But I REALLY want to, at some point, be able to just look at something and draw it – no in-between steps. I WILL get there. It's only one month into this year.

Joy
    January 29, 2011 at 3:47 pm

Both pictures are beautiful!!!! The act of tracing the outline of the image is teaching your mind/hand connection a few things. I learn by feel, and this sort of "cheating" helps me a lot. Don't be so hard on yourself!

Janet Ghio
    January 29, 2011 at 2:36 pm

I think it is so much easier to draw from a photo than from real life–I don't know if it is cheating or not? Who makes those rules?–is it like the quilt police? LOL