If you’ve looked with secret longing to the world of art quilts but don’t know where to start, this is the class for you. Lyric will gently guide you through concrete exercises designed to help you create ideas for original abstract quilts.
Doodles will be scribbled, eyes and minds will be opened, and fun will be had. You will learn the basics of fused collage as you assemble your quilt top. Even students who have never created their own designs before will end the day with at least one small and uniquely original art quilt top.
3 or 6 hour virtual class
Works especially well in two blocks, with time to work on the online course exercises between sessions
3 or 6 hour in-person class
Suitable for all levels
No kit required
Iron & Board for every 5 students
2 extra tables
Preferred room setup in this document
- Pencil, eraser, sharpie
- Plain paper (8×10 or larger sketchbook preferred)
- Tracing paper (at least 15 sheets)
- Paper scissors, fabric scissors
- 2 Glue sticks (any kind, make sure they are not dried up)
- Wipes (to clean off sticky fingers)
- 1 yard regular weight Wonder-Under or Misty-Fuse
- (In-Person Workshop) 1 quart sized zip-bag full of scraps to share
- (In-Person Workshop) Three fat quarters that might work for backgrounds
- (Virtual Workshop) Access to lots of fabric scraps or your stash for Virtual class
- Baking parchment
- Silicone pressing sheets or more baking parchment
- Iron and pressing surface
A day of wonderful fun – playtime!
We’ll spend time working through very easy and concrete design exercises.
We play with different methods of creating your own unique abstract designs.
By the end of the day you will have a sweet little art quilt.
we don’t worry about making masterpieces.
We simply play with design.
PLAY being the operative word!