Can’t choose which surface design technique you want most to learn? Try a taste of each! Make a small art quilt or bookcover while gleefully playing with paint. Let Lyric bring everything you need so that you can simply play and learn a variety of new techniques to add to your tool kit.
Techniques include the application of foil to fabric, photo-transfer, screen printing with thermofax screens, stenciling, stamp carving, and beading. With playful support and gentle encouragement Lyric will help you find the confident creativity she knows you possess.
Class Length: 6 hour format
Skill level: All levels
Supply Fee: $15.00 per student
Optional Kit: $30.00
- Scissors, paper and fabric
- X-Acto knife with a long pointy #11 blade, not a box cutter
- Wear old clothes or an apron
- $15.00 fee payable to teacher (whether you buy a kit or not)
- includes: paints, foil, adhesives photo transfer and other surface design supplies
Buy a Kit ($30) There is no need to reserve a kit. Lyric will bring plenty.
- OR Bring:
- Seed beads in two colors: size 11 (standard) and/or 15 (microscopic)
- Seed beads: size 6 (bigger than standard)
- Cabochon, button (no shank) or flat bead, minimum 20mm diameter
- Fat quarter or 8×10 piece of background fabric
- Couple of fabric scraps (optional)
- Long applique needle size 11 (I prefer foxglove cottage straw needles)
- Batting, fat quarter sized or 8” x 10”
- Wonder-Under, ½ yd – not heavy weight
- Fabric for inside cover, 8” x 15” or fat quarter sized
- Nymo or sylamide beading thread: to match your beads or background fabric
- Journal, Sketchbook, or Book that you would like to create a cover for – small enough to gift-wrap with a piece of notebook paper
- Apron – or just wear old clothes
- Candy tin (such as Altoids) or something to keep beads in
- Linoleum carving tool (the art supply tool – not the linoleum floor knife)
- Lamp or Magnifying lamp and extension cord
- Paper towels for clean-up
- Rubber finger to help pull needles (from an office supply store)
One iron and board per ten students.
Access to water.
A screen or wall on which to project demonstrations.
Click here to view the full Classroom Set-Up instructions
Please see the Hiring Information page if you would like to book this class.