Add beads of all shapes and sizes to your quilts and wearable art, easily and after you are done quilting. Here’s the prize: no knots or mess on the back! Learn to embellish in a way that adds to the overall design instead of looking like an afterthought.
Students will create a small fabric flower collage on batting and learn different beading techniques such as solid line bead embroidery, attaching bugle beads, and creating a beaded bezel used to attach a cabochon to the fabric’s surface.
Class Length: 6 or 3 hour format
Skill level: all levels
Optional kits: $25.00
- Fabric scissors
- Small shallow bowl or container to keep beads in (“Altoid” type tins work well)
Buy a kit from Lyric ($25) There is no need to reserve a kit, Lyric will bring plenty
- Seed beads: sizes 11, 15, & 6
- OR – beads that your eyes can see and any needle that will fit through their holes!
- Bugle beads
- Cabochon, button (no shank) or flat bead, about 20mm diameter (cabs will be available for sale during class)
- Long appliqué needle size 11 (Foxglove cottage straw needles will be available for sale)
- Thin cotton or cotton blend batting, 8”x8”
- Fusible Web, 8”x8” Paper backed (regular weight Wonder-under or your favorite brand)
- Two 8×8” squares of solid fabric, one for the flower, one for the background
- Nymo or Sylamide beading thread to match your beads or background fabric (beading thread will be available for sale during class)
- Any interesting beads or embellishments you might have
- Thimble and needle threader
- Thread snips
- Rubber finger from an office supply store, helps pull your needle
- Lamp or magnifying lamp and extension cord
Please see the Hiring Information page if you would like to book this class.