Come spend a playful day learning the secrets of making faces, from whimsical and cartoon-like to accurately proportioned portraits. You will discover that it isn’t nearly as hard as you imagined. Learn very simple formulas and use technology as a tool as you get seriously silly with your selfies.
Class Length: 6 hour format
Skill level: all levels
Supply Fee: none
- Quart sized ziplock bag of scraps to share: small-scale tone on tone prints, batiks, and neutrals, dark/med/light of one color, plus a few yarns and embellishments for hair
- Fabric scissors, paper scissors
- Glue sticks and wet wipes (to clean glue off hands)
- A couple yards of baking parchment or silicone press sheets
- 1 yard of regular weight Wonder-Under or your favorite fusible web, unless you’ve pre-fused your fabrics. (Please no Heat-n-Bond)
- Sketchbook or plain paper, pencil, eraser, sharpie
- 8x10ish scrap of solid black fabric, and a fairly dark mostly solid
- Fat quarter each of two almost solid light colors
- Half a fat quarter of a-little-bit-less-light almost solid
- Half a fat quarter of a medium almost solid (or any wild thing that will work for hair)
- Optional: mini-iron and pressing surface
- Optional: small light box/table and tracing paper if you do not have a tablet
We will be spending time learning how digital tools such as tablets and smartphones can make your face-making easier. If you do not have a tablet but do have a smart phone, download the apps anyway. If you have neither – you can learn how to make patterns from pictures “old school!” with pictures I bring for you.
Optional but strongly encouraged:
iPad or Tablet with the following apps loaded:
Lightbox (iOS) or Light Box: lightbox tracing table (android)
Paper Camera by JFDP labs (iOS) or Paper Artist by JFDP labs (android)
a stylus is quite helpful.
One iron and board per 5 students.
Parchment or teflon press sheets for each ironing station.
A screen or wall on which to project demonstrations.
Please see the Hiring Information page if you would like to book this class.