I have been incredibly unproductive in the studio. I’ve made up for it by making friends! This is one of my favorite UFO stories ever.
Several years ago my neighborhood quilt bee met yesterday for our Christmas Brunch. One year earlier that they let me crash their Christmas party as a wannabe member of the group. This time I hosted it. Nothing like having a party to motivate me to clean the house!
We chatted, showed off finished works, ate delicious food, and exchanged (and swiped each others’) gifts. Something Kathy said struck a chord with me. She was showing off an absolutely beautiful pieced red and white top that she had intended to finish in time for Christmas. Then she said something to the effect of “I realized I didn’t HAVE to finish it so I didn’t.”
It sparked an idea. I had had this quilt, unfinished, in my attic closet for almost 20 YEARS. Yup. One of the first quilts I made. It was quilted and only lacked binding. I never loved it enough to bind it. I thought. -“I DON’T have to finish it. So I won’t.” I brought it down and said whoever wanted it could have it.
Kathy grabbed it up.
Then she bound it overnight.
Then she brought it back to me.
Did I say I had GOOD friends? I meant I have the BEST friends!
I’m lazy so every year I simply pin it to my wall using tiny appliqué pins. Stick them in the binding ditch and nobody will see them! I also pin on my favorite origami or paper ornaments. This pic is from a while ago and now it’s mostly covered.
If you want to see some other wonderful UFO finishes from the past month you’re going to LOVE this list of blog and social media posts! Things have been more than a little insane here at home (son got in a motorcycle wreck – he will be fine – it’s just a few really yucky months of caregiving and recovery) and I should have posted this earlier.
Bobbie Gentili over at The Geeky Bobbin organized this wonderful event. Enjoy!!!
- November 1 – The Geeky Bobbin – http://geekybobbin.com
- November 2 – Strawberry Creek Quilts – http://www.strawberrycreekquilts.com
- November 3 – Katie Mae Quilts – http://katiemaequilts.com
- November 4 – Pretty Piney Quilts – https://prettypiney.com/blog
- November 5 – Mary Go Round Quilts – http://www.marygoroundquilts.com
- November 6 – Exhausted Octopus – https://exhaustedoctopus.com/blog/
- November 7 – Just Get It Done Quilts – https://www.justgetitdonequilts.com/blog
- November 8 – By Hilary Jordan – https://byhilaryjordan.com/
- November 9 – Sew Hooked on Treasures – http://sewhookedontreasures.com
- November 10 – Sunflower Stitcheries and Quilting – http://www.sunflowerstitcheries.com
- November 11 – Blue Heron Quilting – https://www.blueheronquilting.shop/blog
- November 12 – Carrington Creates – https://cbear7774.wixsite.com/thatsthewayitseams
- November 13 – Sarah Goer Quilts – https://www.sarahgoerquilts.com
- November 14 – Better Done Quilts – https://betterdonequilts.com/
- November 15 – Ashli Montgomery | Virginia’dele Smith – http://www.meandcoach.com
- November 16 – Puppy Girl Designs – http://puppygirldesigns.com
- November 17 – Lovingly, Lissa – http://lovinglylissa.com
- November 18 – Art East Quilting Co – http://www.arteastquiltingco.com
- November 19 – rjbosscher – http://www.rjbosscher.com
- November 20 – Love to Color My World – http://lovetocolormyworld.blogspot.com/
- November 21 – LynsAvenue – http://lynsavenue.com
- November 22 – Quiltfox Design – https://www.quiltfox-design.com
- November 23 – Maeberry Square – https://www.maeberrysquare.com
- November 24 – Karen Bolan Designs – https://www.karenbolan.com/blog
- November 25 – Tina1802 – http://www.tina1802.com
- November 26 – Lazy Cozy Quilts – http://www.lazycozyquilts.com
- November 27 – True Blue Quilts – http://www.truebluequilts.com
- November 28 – The Scrappy Camper – http://www.thescrappycamper.com
- November 29 – Sarah Ruiz Quilts – http://sarahruiz.com
- November 30 – Lyric Art – http://LyricKinard.com