This class is only taught Virtually
Painlessly create beautiful designs with intricate detail, perfect for quilts, wearables, blocks, borders or accents. Long flowing, curly borders or detailed pictures with the sharpest points and thinnest lines imaginable are possible with this easy method using fusible web.
Combine fabrics such as silk and wool for wearables or stick to quilting cottons tried and true. Give your design that extra punch with the added dimension of trapunto.... without all the slitting and stuffing! As an added bonus, it’s super easy to create two images at the same time, one positive and one negative.
3 or 6 hour virtual class
Suitable for all levels
Optional $30 Kit Available
This live zoom class includes two days of full access to online course content which often includes instructional material we don’t have time to cover in class.
Students may choose one of three different patterns during class
Hummingbird, Dragonfly, or Elephant.
You will learn:
What kind of patterns will work for this technique
How to do reverse fusible appliqué
Different ways for transferring your pattern to cloth
How to use fusible web
How to create a faux-trapunto effect
Hints for quilting your finished top
How this technique can be used for up-cycling clothing and wearable art
- You will need to print off a pattern onto two letter sized pages and tape them together before class
- Zig-zag sewing machine
- Size 75/11 machine needles
- Small, pointy, sharp scissors
- Paper scissors
- Pencil, White chalk pencil
- Black Sharpie, Opaque Silver Sharpie
- A light table or LED light tablet is very helpful.
- A mini rotary cutter is extremely useful!
- Lightweight thread to match fabrics.
- If your top fabric is patterned, match thread to its darkest color.
- 1/2 yd Wonder-Under or other fusible web that is “sewable” (not heavy-weight W-U)
- One fat quarters of dark or light plain fabric, no large prints
- One solid or hand dyed fat quarter of fabric that contrasts highly with your first fabric
- One solid fat quarter that contrasts with BOTH of your first two fat quarters.
- One fat quarter fabric for back of quilt
- Batting, two fat quarters - one puffy, one flat
- I prefer one piece of Quilters Dream Puff and one Hobbs Heirloom Cotton.
- 1/2 yd light weight tear away stabilizer
Optional kits that include all of the above materials are available at this link: $30.00 plus shipping
Please order 7 days before live class to guarantee timely arrival of your kit.
[the amazon links above are affiliate links]